Winterize your home to help conserve energy and protects your property from damage caused by the cold weather. Here’s our handy to-do list:
- Test all systems. Get serviced if necessary.
- Clean out any debris or foliage in or around units.
- Change filters regularly.
- Arrange to fill up fuel tanks if necessary.
- Reverse ceiling fans.
- Pull out your warm clothes and blankets.
- Look for drafts and apply weather stripping, caulk, etc.
- Pull out A/C window units, drain, and store.
- Install storm windows.
- Close under the house vents.
- Close vents in rooms you don’t use regularly.
- Make sure curtains and blinds work properly.
- Turn off outdoor spigots.
- Detach and drain garden hoses.
- Check and repair insulation on water heater and pipes.
- Clean fireplace and chimney.
- Check dampers.
- Lay in fuel (logs and kindling, propane gas, etc.)
Other Winter Tasks
- Test smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Replace batteries.
- Trim back brush around home.
- Trim dangling tree branches.
- Winterize lawn equipment.
- Clean gutters.
- Get emergency kit ready.